A "disorder"....really? SERIOUSLY?

My kids and I have a deal.  I control the radio in our Minivan of Awesomeness in the morning, and they control it in the evening on the way home from work/daycare.  They still argue with me most days, but I hold the trump card:  They're strapped in back there, and the radio controls are at my fingertips.  Ha.  Take THAT, monsters!

Blanyway...in the morning I turn on 93.3 WMMR to listen to the Preston & Steve show.  The desire I have to listen to that on the way in to work is more than a "want," it is a NEED.  Their banter and sound effects nudge me along the trail of tears that is my drive to work, fraught with the sounds of a child who is not a morning person, another who talks non-stop, and a co-worker/ride-sharer who actually makes no sound at all.

Today's little nugget of WTF is courtesy of a radio commercial that I heard on the show this morning.  Apparently, 1 in 4 people is afflicted by a terrible disorder, and should see their doctor for help.  What if it is you?  What if it is a loved one?  If you meet three friends for coffee, it could be one of YOU in danger of having this disorder!  Get help now!

Forgive my dramatics, but I felt they were necessary.  Or not, but it was fun for me.

What was my point?

Oh yes.  A serious disorder.  The acronym is SWD, and stands for Shift Work Disorder (not "Single White Dude" or "Sexy Widowed Dad" because this is not that kind of site)(but um...hi there....*wink*).   SHIFT WORK DISORDER.  I was intrigued at first, curious about what kind of pain and suffering people who work shifts are dealing work.  My brother did shift work, and my stepfather drives a truck for long hours, so I thought I'd better listen up.

Apparently?  Studies have shown that people who work shifts....are awake when their body would usually want to sleep....and are sleeping...when their bodies should be awake...which makes them...tired when they are awake, and restless when they sleep.

Studies.

Have.

Been.

Done.

Well damn, that's call parenthood to me!  That's not a disorder, that's something that sucks but you deal with it.   The websites even say that this "condition usually lasts as long as you keep a shift work schedule. Once you begin sleeping at a normal time again, the problems tend to go away."

Well, I don't like my job, and that will probably last as long as I keep working.  Can I get medication for my "Work Dislike Disorder?"

Oh, wait. I can.  

It's called alcohol, and I'd better go refill my "prescription."



* Disclaimer:  I am not a doctor or any other kind of medically trained person.  If you would like information on *rolling my eyes here* Shift Work Disorder (SWD) you can find information on it, and treatment, through various search engine websites. 



* Disclaimer Numero Dos:  I'm not a giant asshole.  It totally sucks to work shift work, and I completely understand that people who do not get adequate sleep can cause injuries to happen to themselves and others, and that sleep deprivation can lead to health problems.  I just don't think this should be called a "disorder."  It's a career choice, not an illness.


Have a great Wednesday!

0 Responses to "A "disorder"....really? SERIOUSLY?" (Leave A Comment)