What else can I outsource?

We live in a time of productivity, and are told that "time is money."  I have read several articles that help you calculate what your time is worth in dollars.  Not so someone can pay you, but so that you can possibly pay someone else.  Wait, what?  I'll explain:  Once you know what your time is worth in cold hard cash, you can figure out how much it "costs" for you to do different chores.  Laundry, 5 hours a week:  If your time is worth, say, $25 per hour, you have "spent" $125 per week doing laundry yourself.  If you can hire someone to do it for less money, then you should - that's the point of the articles.

Well, I'm broke.  Not only can I not afford myself, I can't afford anyone else either.  However, if I have actual cash in my hand, we can play this game.

For two weeks between March and April 2010 I outsourced my lunch making to a friend.  Some of you might think "You lazy ass." while others are thinking "You are a freaking genius."   Can we give me a grade somewhere in the middle?  My friend Erin is so productive it makes me embarrassed for myself.  One task I can not for the life of me do is pack a lunch for work.  Oh, I might have 2-3 days where I amaze myself with my forsight to pack something...but in general? Uh uh.  Erin, on the other hand, always has a sensible lunch of healthy food, along with the appropriately nutritionally balanced snacks to round out a day of excellent nutrition. 

Since I knew I wouldn't do that, but wanted the healthy results, I did what anyone else would do when faced with changing their very nature:  I asked someone else to do it!  I outsourced my lunch preparation to Erin!

It was only for 2 weeks, and in those 2 weeks I was able to jumpstart my metabolism by eating smart snacks and small meals at the times my body needed it.  My previous way of eating had basically put my body in to "starvation mode" and so my body was just holding on to fat.   By simply eating snack #1 when I got to work, followed by lunch later, then another small snack a couple of hours later my body kicked back in to gear.  Since that time, I am down almost 15 pounds and I haven't done ANYTHING ELSE different.  

Outsourcing not only meant that I had lunch and snacks to eat at work, it also taught me what my body needs, and is helping me lose weight I didn't think I could.  

At this rate, I'm going to see what else I can outsource and track what it changes in my life.  Get someone to do the laundry?  Perhaps more alone time with the husband!  Have someone supply dinner?  More time with the kids!

Think about it - what small tasks could you outsource, and what would you gain from the extra time?

0 Responses to "What else can I outsource?" (Leave A Comment)